Former Zambian Transport Minister and opposition lawmaker Mutotwe Kafwaya has been killed during a security operation at a property linked to opposition leader Brian Mundubile in Lusaka, authorities have confirmed.
Kafwaya, 49, was reportedly fatally wounded during a joint operation by police and military personnel on August 14, a day after Zambia’s presidential election. Police said security forces encountered gunfire and resistance from unidentified individuals and returned fire, killing one man whose identity was initially unknown. Kafwaya was later identified by members of his family.
The operation reportedly resulted in the arrest of 11 people. Authorities alleged that the individuals were linked to plans involving militia activities and an armed insurrection, and said security forces recovered military-grade weapons, including firearms and ammunition, during the raid.
Mundubile, who was the opposition candidate in the presidential election, has rejected the government’s allegations as fabrications. He has also described the raid as an attack on him and his political group. According to reports, he went into hiding following the operation and has vowed to challenge the presidential election result in court.
Kafwaya’s death came after several days of uncertainty over his whereabouts. His family had sought information about him, while authorities initially dismissed reports that he had been shot and admitted to a military hospital. Police later confirmed that he was the man fatally wounded during the Lusaka operation.
The killing has intensified concerns about Zambia’s political climate following the election. Amnesty International has called for a prompt, independent and transparent investigation into Kafwaya’s death, saying the full circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear.
The incident is likely to further deepen tensions between the Zambian government and opposition forces as Mundubile challenges the election outcome and questions the conduct of the security operation.

